Equipment at the Facility
The Radiochemistry facility is equipped to produce radionuclides and prepare PET tracers by automated and manual synthesis.
• An 11 Mev cyclotron (Siemens RDS111) is used to produce 18F, 11C, 13N, and 15O.
• Radionuclides are delivered directly to shielded hot cells, in which radiochemical reactions are performed.
• Two hot cells are equipped with remote manipulators, to perform manual reactions.
• The hot cells are shielded with 3 inches of lead and 9 inch leaded glass windows.
• Automated synthesis units for 18F and 11C chemistry are used for routine syntheses.
Left: The radiochemistry laboratory includes shielded hot cells, remote manipulators, and automated synthesis units for PET radiopharmaceutical production
Right: Automated synthesis units are used for routine production of 18F and 11C PET tracers.