Eduardo A. Silva
Office: (530) 754-7107
Lab: (530) 752-9727
Office: 2515 GBSF
Lab: Silva Lab
Ph.D. Engineering Sciences: Bioengineering, University of Porto, Portugal (2008)
My research efforts focus on the field of translation stem cell bioengineering.
My aim is to develop new material platforms that enable one to control stem/progenitor cell trafficking in the body.
The lab is focused on mastering chemistry and biologically inspired design principles that will result in the develop of new material platforms that enables one to actively negotiate biological barriers, including endothelial walls found in vascular networks.
Currently the research in the Silva lab is actively exploring and developing research on the following topics/research goals:
1. Develop tools for studying stem cell pluripotency and differentiation
2. Development of new materials systems that locally define and regulate homing sites
3. Design of a material system that provides the appropriate chemical and physical cues to control and manipulate endothelial cell extravasations
4. Development of material systems that specifically target hypoxic regions in the body
- Lui KO, Zangi L, Silva EA, Bu L, Sahara M, Li RA, Mooney DJ, Chien KR. Driving vascular endothelial cell fate of human multipotent Isl1+ heart progenitors with VEGF modified mRNA. Cell Res. 2013 Oct;23(10):1172-1186.
- Kaigler D, Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Guided Bone Regeneration (GBR) Utilizing Injectable Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) Delivery Gel.” J Periodontol. 2013 Feb;84(2):230-8
- Kodiyan A, Silva EA, Kim J, Aizenberg M, Mooney DJ. “Surface modification with alginate-derived polymers for stable, protein-repellent, long-circulating gold nanoparticles.” ACS Nano. 2012 Jun 26;6(6): 4796-805.
- Vacharathit V, Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Viability and Functionality of Cells Delivered from Peptide Conjugated Scaffolds” Biomaterials. 2011 May; 32(15): 3721-8
- Kim J, Cao L, Shvartsman D, Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Targeted Delivery of Nanoparticles to Ischemic Muscle for Imaging and Therapeutic Angiogenesis.” Nano Lett. 2011 Feb 9; 11(2): 694-700
- Yuen WW, Du NR, Chan CH, Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Mimicking nature by codelivery of stimulant and inhibitor to create temporally stable and spatially restricted angiogenic zones.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Oct 19;107(42):17933-8.
- Lee K, Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Growth factor delivery-based tissue engineering: general approaches and a review of recent developments.” J R Soc Interface. 2011 Feb 6;8(55): 155-70
- Emerich DF, Silva E, Ali O, Mooney D, Bell W, Yu SJ, Kaneko Y, Borlongan C.“ Injectable VEGF hydrogels produce near complete neurological and anatomical protection following cerebral ischemia in rats.” Cell Transplant. 2010; 19(9): 1063-71
- Sun Q, Silva EA, Wang A, Fritton JC, Mooney DJ, Schaffler MB, Grossman PM, Rajagopalan S. “Sustained Release of Multiple Growth Factors from Injectable Polymeric System as a Novel Therapeutic Approach Towards Angiogenesis.” Pharm Res. 2010 Feb;27(2):264-71
- Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Effects of VEGF temporal and spatial presentation on angiogenesis.” Biomaterials 2010 Feb; 31(6): 1235-41.
- Silva EA, Suk E, Kong H, Mooney DJ. “Material-based deployment enhances efficacy of endothelial progenitor cells.” Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Sep 23;105(38):14347-52.
- Chen RR, Silva EA, Yuen WW, Brock AA, Fischbach C, Lin AS, Guldberg RE, Mooney DJ. “Integrated approach to designing growth factor delivery systems.” FASEB J. 2007 Dec;21(14):3896-903.
- Hao X, Silva EA, Mansson-Broberg A, Grinnemo KH, Siddiqui AJ, Dellgren G, Wardell E, Brodin LA, Mooney DJ, Sylven C. “Angiogenic effects of sequential release of VEGF-A165 and PDGF-BB with alginate hydrogels after myocardial infarction.” Cardiovasc Res. 2007 Jul 1;75(1):178-85.
- Mooney DJ, Silva EA. “Tissue engineering: a glue for biomaterials.” Nat Mater. 2007 May;6(5):327-8.
- Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Spatiotemporal control of vascular endothelial growth factor delivery from injectable hydrogels enhances angiogenesis.” J Thromb Haemost. 2007 Mar;5(3):590-8.
- Chen RR, Silva EA, Yuen WW, Mooney DJ. “Spatio-temporal VEGF and PDGF delivery patterns blood vessel formation and maturation.” Pharm Res. 2007 Feb;24(2):258-64.
- Silva EA, Mooney DJ. “Synthetic extracellular matrices for tissue engineering and regeneration.” Curr Top Dev Biol. 2004;64:181-205.
PATENTS / INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
US patent Ref. 13/582,900 (Sept. 2012): “Enhancement of Skeletal Muscle Stem Cell Engraftment by Dual Delivery of VEGF and IGF-1”
US patent filed (filed on Dec. 2011): “Conditioned medium and uses in healing injured tissue”
US patent filed (filed on Sep. 2011): “Use of alginate-derived polymers for stable, long-circulating nanoparticles”
US Patent Ref. 61/230,169: “In situ programming of dendritic cells for tolerogenic therapies”