Advising Holds

Course Registration and Degree Requirements

Graduate & Professional School

ABET Accreditation



Advising Holds

How do I release my advising hold?

To release your hold, you must create a draft academic plan for the next 3 quarters in OASIS.

  • Go to students.ucdavis.edu and then click Forms & Petitions -> Submit a New Form -> Academic Plan
  • Complete plan for the next 3 quarters and SAVE AS DRAFT. Do not Submit.

If you aren’t sure what courses should be included in your plan, review the BME Curriculum options.

Then email your advisor, rchristian@ucdavis.edu, to schedule an appointment or meet with the peer advisor during Office Hours.

At your appointment, the advisor will go over the Draft Academic Plan, make changes, and then when finished, the advisor will submit the finalized form.

What is the difference between meeting with the BME academic advisor and the peer advisor?

The academic advisor meets with students by appointment only. The peer advisor has drop in hours only. You can email either of them with questions. The peer advisor cannot meet with students in the following categories: seniors, transfer students, international students, or students with any grade lower than a C- or who are on Academic Probation.  At the start of each quarter, the peer advisor will send out Office Hours.

Will I get dropped from classes if I don’t clear my hold by the deadline?

You will not get dropped from classes if you do not clear your hold by the deadline. However, you will not be able to adjust your schedule or get into classes via wait list until your hold is cleared.

I have a Fall Quarter advising hold. Can I register for Winter Quarter courses if I haven’t cleared my hold by my pass times?

Yes, you can register for courses for the upcoming quarter.

  • Fall Quarter advising holds do not affect registration until December 15.
  • Winter Quarter advising holds do not affect registration until March 15.
  • Spring Quarter advising holds do not affect registration until September 15.

How can I look up my engineering GPA? What engineering GPA do I need for graduation?

Log in to OASIS at students.ucdavis.edu. Then select GPA Charts and Tools -> What If GPA -> By Subject tab. Select all  Engineering courses. Then hover over the Selected GPA. In order to graduate, you must have a 2.0 GPA in Engineering Coursework that was completed at a UC.

What services does the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office provide?

If you have questions about one of the following, the advisors in the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office (1050 Kemper Hall) are available for drop in appointments. Visit their website, call (530) 752-1979, or stop by their office at 1050 Kemper Hall to make an appointment.

  • Degree certification
  • Options for managing academic difficulty
  • Dismissal appeals
  • Readmission
  • Transfer evaluation, credit, course equivalencies


Course Registration and Degree Requirements

What are my chances of getting into a class from the wait list?

Your chance of getting into a class from the wait list depends on what number you are on the wait list and how many students choose to drop the class. If you are still on the wait list the first day of class, you should attend lecture and get an idea of whether you will be able to enroll in the class. Please enroll in alternate open courses in case you cannot get into a class. You can drop these alternate courses once you have been admitted to the course from the wait list.

Can  I take a course if I do not have the prerequisites?

Engineering is a discipline that requires mastery of prerequisite coursework to be successful in more advanced curriculum, so prerequisites are enforced in all College of Engineering courses.  If you enroll in a course without having completed the prerequisites, the instructor is authorized to drop you. Any student who re-adds a course after being dropped by the instructor may be referred to Student Judicial Affairs.

I fulfilled a prerequisite through coursework I took at another institution. What should I do to assure that I am not dropped from the course?

If you have met the prerequisite through coursework at another institution or in some other way, you should upload this documentation to your prereq petition.

I am currently taking the prerequisite for a course that I just registered for next quarter. Will I be dropped? 

No, if you are enrolled in the prerequisite course, and you receive the required prerequisite grade in the course, you will not be dropped.

Can I take a course as Pass/No Pass?

Students in the College of Engineering may take some GE’s Pass/No Pass (P/NP). See Pass-No Pass Guidelines. However no courses offered in the College of Engineering can be taken as P/NP.

How can I drop a course after the drop deadline?

You may petition for a late drop if you can fully document that unforeseen circumstances beyond your control have affected your academic performance. Late drops will not be approved for poor academic performance, academic difficulties, change of interest in a course, or weak midterm results. Please visit the College of Engineering Undergraduate Advising Office in 1050 Kemper Hall for more information.

Do I need to sign up for a special CRN when I repeat a class?

For most courses, you just register normally for the class. However, for chemistry courses, you need to sign up for a repeater section if you pass the lab. These courses are labeled as ARO, BRO, CRO…

Can I repeat a course more than once?

You are allowed to repeat one time for credit, a course in which you received a D+, D, D-, or F.  If you wish to repeat a course for a second time you must submit a Petition for Multiple Repeat of a Course in Oasis. If your petition is approved, you will be allowed to repeat the course another time. If you are unsure whether you should repeat a course for a second time, please consult your program advisor.

I took a course at community college/another institution over the summer and need to transfer the credit. How do I do that?

Contact the college or institution and request that your official transcript be sent to:

Undergraduate Admissions
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8507

Be sure that your final grade is posted to your record before ordering the transcript.


Graduate & Professional School

I am interested in applying to graduate school. How do I get started?

General information on the graduate school application process is available through Student Academic Success Center Pre-Graduate Advising. The College of Engineering offers a 1 unit seminar every Winter Quarter titled “Gearing Up for Graduate School.”

I would like to be in a Health profession but am not sure which one yet.  How can I research different opportunities and the pathways to get there?

General information on the Health professions and requirements are available through Health Professions Advising (HPA). There are also seminars and workshops available through HPA which can be found here.

I am interested in being a Health professional. How can I get started?

UC Davis hosts hospital, clinical, and nutrition internships at several different locations. To sign up, you can visit their website.



What is ABET accreditation?

ABET accreditation assures that a program has met quality standards set by the profession. Learn more about accreditation by visiting the ABET website.



Who should I contact if I still have questions?

If you still have questions after reading through the FAQs, please email your advisor at rchristian@ucdavis.edu