Job Opportunity: Postdoctoral Position in Innate Immunity and Lab-chip Technology
A postdoctoral position is available in the Simon Laboratory for a candidate with an interest in performing novel research on innate immunity using vascular mimetic based lab-chip microfluidics technology. This position is funded by a new multi-PI grant to study the host immune response to skin infections using a novel bone marrow-on-a-chip device. The Simon laboratory focuses on the innate immune response in acute and chronic disease processes using vascular mimetic systems to delve the mechanobiology of leukocyte recruitment and inflammation. We work closely with clinicians and immunologists in obtaining patient samples for study. Current projects span from evaluating the host response to bacterial infection to studies of cardiovascular disease with a focus on cellular engineering and gene editing to guide the innate immune response to inflammation. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary environment leading graduate and undergraduate trainees in developing new approaches at the cell and molecular level.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Immunology, Cell and Molecular Biology or related discipline
- Integrate knowledge from innate immunity, infectious disease, and stem cell biology to delve the mechanism of disease and develop biological therapies
- Immunofluorescence detection using flow cytometry and light microscopy
- Excellent skills in mammalian cell culture, gene editing, and related molecular biology techniques
- Experience working with rodent animal models of infectious disease
- Evidence of strong oral and written communication skills and effective organizational skills, as is the desire and ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Demonstrated success as exemplified by peer-reviewed publications, scientific creativity, and independent thinking
The Simon laboratory of inflammation biomechanics at UC Davis
The Simon Lab (Simonlab.bme.ucdavis.edu) is located on the Main Campus at UC Davis in Northern California. We collaborate with the Departments of Dermatology and Cardiovascular Sciences on the UC Health Sciences Campus in Sacramento only 20 minutes from the UC Davis main campus.
We are strongly committed to the career development of all trainees, and activities are incorporated in every aspect of this position. A significant emphasis is placed on mentorship of all trainees to ensure each person is moving toward their career goals.
How to Apply
Qualified, diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply! Applicants should send a cover letter describing their previous experience and career goals, a current CV, and the names and contact information of three references to Dr. Scott Simon (email@example.com). Qualified applicants will be considered currently and until the position is filled