Frequently Asked Questions

uc davis biomedical engineering frequently asked questions

Answers to Your Questions

Table of Contents

Advising Holds

  • How do I release my advising hold?
  • To release your hold, you must create a draft academic plan for the next three quarters in OASIS. Go to and then click Forms & Petitions -> Submit a New Form -> Academic Plan​.

    Complete plan for the next 3 quarters and SAVE AS A DRAFT. Do not submit. If you aren’t sure what courses should be included in your plan, review the biomedical engineering curriculum options.

    Then email the undergraduate program advisor, Rosalind Christian, to schedule an appointment or meet with the peer advisor during office hours.During your appointment, the advisor will go over the Draft Academic Plan, make changes and submit the finalized form.
  • What is the difference between meeting with the academic advisor and the peer advisor?
  • The Undergraduate Advisor assists students with course selection, schedule planning, hold removal, degree checks, GE advising, planning for graduate school and internships and careers. LEADR students, international students and students with a grade lower than a C- or on academic probation must meet with the program advisor. Please note that she is available by appointment only.

    You can also meet with a peer advisor during drop-in hours to discuss schedule planning, course selection, research positions and internships and to clear your hold. This advising is intended for lower division students. The peer advisor will send out new drop-in advising hours at the beginning of each quarter. Please note that there is no peer advising during finals, holidays or summer.

  • Will I get dropped from my classes if I don’t clear my hold by the deadline?​​
  • You will not get dropped from classes if you do not clear your hold by the deadline. However, you will not be able to adjust your schedule or get into classes via waitlist until your hold is cleared.
  • I have a fall quarter advising hold. Can I register for winter quarter courses if I haven’t cleared my hold by my pass times?
  • Yes, you can register for courses for the upcoming quarter.

    Fall quarter advising holds do not affect registration until December 15.
    Winter quarter advising holds do not affect registration until March 15.
    Spring quarter advising holds do not affect registration until September 15.
  • How can I look up my UC Davis engineering GPA? What engineering GPA do I need for graduation?
  • Log in to OASIS, then select “GPA Charts and Tools” -> “What If GPA” -> “By Subject” tab. Select all engineering courses, then hover over the selected GPA.

    In order to graduate, you must have a 2.0 GPA in engineering coursework that was completed at a UC.
  • What services does the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office provide?
  • The advisors in the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office assist you if you have questions about degree certification, credit, options for managing academic difficulty​, dismissal appeals, readmission​, transfer evaluation and course equivalencies​. They are available for drop-in appointments. Visit their website, call 530-752-1979 or stop by their office at 1050 Kemper Hall to make an appointment.


Course Registration and Degree Requirements

  • What are my chances of getting into a class from the waitlist?
  • Your chance of getting into a class from the waitlist depends on your position on the waitlist and how many students choose to drop the class. If you are still on the waitlist the first day of class, you should attend lecture and get an idea of whether you will be able to enroll in the class. Please enroll in alternate open courses in case you cannot get into a class. You can drop these alternate courses once you have been admitted to the course from the waitlist.
  • Can I take a course if I do not have the prerequisites?
  • Engineering is a discipline that requires mastery of prerequisite coursework to be successful in more advanced curriculum, so prerequisites are enforced in all College of Engineering courses. If you enroll in a course without having completed the prerequisites, the instructor is authorized to drop you. Any student who re-adds a course after being dropped by the instructor may be referred to Student Judicial Affairs.
  • I fulfilled a prerequisite through coursework at another institution. How can I make sure that I'm not dropped from the course?
  • If you have met the prerequisite through coursework at another institution or in some other way, you should upload this documentation to your prerequisite petition on Schedule Builder. Make sure to register for the course after you submit the petition.

    When you submit a prerequisite petition, you need to include the following information:
    -- Name and number
    ​ of the course that satisfies the prerequisite (e.g. MAT 21B).
    -- Final grade.
    ​-- Name of the college or university where you completed the course.
    -- When you took the course (e.g. spring 2018).
    -- Any additional information or documentation you may have, including the syllabus, digital copies of your transcript and/or a course substitution approval email from the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office.
  • I am currently taking the prerequisite for a course that I just registered for next quarter. Will I be dropped? 
  • No, if you are enrolled in the prerequisite course and you receive the required prerequisite grade in the course, you will not be dropped.
  • Can I take a course as pass/no pass?
  • Students in the College of Engineering may take some GE’s pass/no pass (P/NP), but no courses offered in the College of Engineering can be taken as P/NP.​ Students may exercise pass/no pass grading for up to 16 units. Read the College of Engineering’s guidelines for taking a course pass/no pass for more information.
  • How can I drop a course after the drop deadline?
  • You may petition for a late drop if you can fully document that unforeseen circumstances beyond your control have affected your academic performance. Late drops will not be approved for poor academic performance, academic difficulties, change of interest in a course or weak midterm results. Please visit the College of Engineering Undergraduate Advising Office in 1050 Kemper Hall for more information.
  • Do I need to sign up for a special CRN when I repeat a class?
  • For most courses, you just register normally for the class. However, for chemistry courses, you need to sign up for a repeater section if you pass the lab. These courses are labeled as ARO, BRO, CRO, etc.
  • Can I repeat a course more than once?
  • You are allowed to repeat a course one time for credit if you received a D+, D, D- or F the first time. If you wish to repeat a course for a second time, you must submit a Petition for Multiple Repeat of a Course in OASIS. If your petition is approved, you will be allowed to repeat the course again. If you are unsure whether you should repeat a course for a second time, please consult your program advisor.
  • I took a course at a community college or another institution over the summer and I need to transfer the credit. How do I do that?
  • Contact the college or institution and request that your official transcript be sent to:

    Undergraduate Admissions

    University of California, Davis
    One Shields Avenue
    Davis, CA 95616-8507

    Be sure that your final grade is posted to your record before ordering the transcript.


Graduate and Professional School

  • I am interested in applying to graduate school. How do I get started?
  • General information on the graduate school application process is available through Student Academic Success Center’s Pre-Graduate Advising. The College of Engineering also offers a one-unit seminar every winter quarter titled “Gearing Up for Graduate School.”
  • I’m interested in health, but I’m not sure which profession yet. Where can I learn more?
  • General information on the health professions and requirements are available through Health Professions Advising (HPA). There are also seminars and workshops available through HPA, which can be found through their Facebook page.
  • How can I get started on a career as a health professional?
  • UC Davis hosts hospital, clinical and nutrition internships at several different locations. Visit the Internship and Career Center website to sign up.



  • What is ABET accreditation?
  • ABET accreditation assures that a program has met quality standards set by the profession. Learn more about accreditation by visiting the ABET website.
  • Who should I contact if I still have questions?
  • If you still have questions after reading through the FAQs, please email Rosalind Christian, the undergraduate program advisor, at​.