Job Opportunity: Junior Specialist
The College of Engineering at the University of California, Davis invites applications from qualified candidates for one or more Junior Specialist positions in the Simon laboratory. Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering, engineering or related field, or equivalent research experience.
NATURE AND PURPOSE
The position of Junior Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, or with research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. Junior Specialists are required to be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities, including reviewing journal articles and engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results. Junior Specialists are also expected to participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations as well as review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications as applicable related to their research area of expertise.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESIGNATED AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Under the direction of the PI, the candidate’s responsibilities are a significant and essential part of publishable research activities. The candidate will assist the PI in mouse studies of infection and wound healing, including various other research projects focused on innate immunity. Other responsibilities include recruiting and consenting human subjects, and processing blood samples to isolate blood cells for use in cell culture models. The candidate will keep meticulous records of the human and animal studies, will collaborate with other lab personnel to collect and interpret test results, and work with the research team to revise future studies as needed. Candidate will perform routine laboratory tasks including: cell culture, media prep, animal surgery, and molecular protocols. Candidate will manage the IRB and IACUC protocols and assure compliance with required documentation. The candidate will work with the project team to review and submit research proposals.
The candidate will collaborate with the research group to collect data for manuscript preparation, review, and submission. The candidate’s significant and meaningful contributions described above will lead to authorship or acknowledgement on published work.
RESEARCH IN SPECIALIZED AREAS (85% EFFORT)
- The candidate will assist the PI and other lab personnel in the studies on Staphaureus infection in mouse models of inflammation study design, through the collection of samples from animals and will perform various assays on isolated cells. In addition to performing assays, the candidate will interpret data. As an integral part of the study, the candidate will assist in revising plans for future studies.
- The candidate has unique skills and expertise in performing various molecular protocols and in isolating blood components (neutrophils). In addition, the candidate has expertise in using various lab equipment and will interpret and properly categorize collected data, which distinguishes him/her from other personnel who are charged with running the tests.
- The candidate will keep meticulous records of all aspects of the human and animal studies and will assist in performing assays and collecting data, which is an essential and meaningful contribution to successfully submit scholarly manuscripts.
- The candidate will be responsible for reading and reviewing literature pertinent to the inflammation and infection studies.
- In addition to successfully collaborating with other research personnel in the lab and communicating scientific information, the candidate will be responsible for presenting research results during weekly lab meetings.
Professional competence and activity (10% EFFORT):
Candidate will participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations.
- The candidate will have the potential to attend various scholarly conferences, including the Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting and American Association of Immunologists Conference. The candidate will collaborate with researchers in the lab and will help to produce data presented at conferences.
- The candidate will participate in the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES).
UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (5% EFFORT)
- Candidate may maintain liaison and respond to the needs of various industry organizations, state and federal agencies, and other external groups on issues related to area of expertise.
- Candidate may participate in activities of committees within the department, college, campus and other University entities, as appropriate.
Interested candidates should submit all materials via the web-based online submission system (https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF04248). Required materials include a curriculum vitae, cover letter, and names and contact information for 3-5 references.
POSITION AVAILABLE/CLOSING DATE: As openings occur, appointments are made contingent upon availability of funding. The posting will remain open to accommodate department needs. If you would like to continue to be considered after that time you will need to submit a new application when a new position is posted.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available at http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.